Aberfoyle Kirk Session
Parallelle vormen van de naam
Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.
Identificatiecode voor organisaties
1740 - 1963
Historically, Aberfoyle Church belonged to the Abbey of Inchmahome. It was in the Presbytery of Dunblane and later the Presbytery of Stirling (for some time the Presbytery of Stirling and Dunblane). John Honeyman designed the present parish church building in 1869-1870, which replaced the Old Kirk of Aberfoyle which was situated on the south bank of the River Forth. (The old church was rebuilt in 1744 and repaired 1839). The new church was enlarged in 1883-84 to include transepts, and in 1974 a stained glass window by Gordon Webster was added. A bell originally presented to the Old Parish Church by the Duke of Montrose hangs in a small structure near the East gable. There is a two-manual pipe organ (1887) by Bryceson Brothers, London. In 1983 Aberfoyle Parish Church was linked with the Port of Menteith Parish Church.
Aberfoyle Ministers include the Gaelic scholar and author, Rev Robert Kirk (1644-1692) who was minister in the Old Parish Church, Aberfoyle 1685 – 1692. Kirk was the author of various Gaelic and English translations and publications and perhaps best known for his work ‘The Secret Commonwealth’(1691, published 1815) regarding fairies and other supernatural beings. Kirk was found dead on Doon Hill in 1692 which was known locally as a ‘fairy knowe’ – the tradition is that he was walking on the knowe when he sank down and disappeared. Kirk’s remains are buried in Aberfoyle [see Fasti, Vol 4 Presbytery of Dunblane, p334-335].
Functies, beroepen en activiteiten
Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid
Interne structuren / genealogie
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Toegepaste regels en/of conventies