Showing 579 results

Authority record
Corporate body

1st Stirlingshire Scout Group

  • C0109
  • Corporate body
  • 1908 -

The Boy Scout movement was founded in Britain in 1908 by Lieutenant-General Robert (later Lord) Baden-Powell (1857 - 1941), famous for his defence of Mafeking (1899-1900) during the Boer War. The organisation was initially for boys aged 11 to 14 or 15, and aimed to develop good citizenship, and skill in various outdoor activities. The Scouts were organised into small groups (patrols) of six or seven under a boy patrol leader. Training included tracking, reconnaissance, mapping, signalling, knotting, first aid, and other skills relevant to camping and outdoor activities. Training was rewarded by the granting of badges, and a daily good deed encouraged. Scouts had to obey the Scout Law, a simple code of chivalrous behaviour. The aims of the Scout movement are to help young people develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes that will enable them to be responsible, self-reliant citizens. Membership is now open to boys and girls between the ages of 10 1/2 and 15 1/2.The first recorded meeting of 1st Stirlingshire Scout Group was on 21 December 1908. It was the first scout group in Stirling and, in 1988, was one of only seven troops throughout Scotland with continuous activities.

A & L Barr

  • C0504
  • Corporate body
  • fl 1950

Aberfoyle Junior Secondary School

  • C0038
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1951 – 1974

Aberfoyle originally had a Public School from the late 19th century. Aberfoyle Junior Secondary School was in operation from c. 1951 and closed in July 1974 with pupils transferred to McLaren High School in Callander. By the 1930s, the main structure of Scottish secondary schooling had settled into a pattern of three-year ‘junior secondary’ and five-year ‘senior secondary’ courses. Junior Secondary’s were intended to prepare people for training and work. Senior Secondary’s were intended to lead to the professions either directly or through university. Allocation of pupils between these courses was mainly on the basis of tests of intelligence and of attainment (in English, arithmetic and mathematics) taken in the final year of primary school.

Aberfoyle Kirk Session

  • C0114
  • Corporate body
  • 1560 -

Historically, Aberfoyle Church belonged to the Abbey of Inchmahome. It was in the Presbytery of Dunblane and later the Presbytery of Stirling (for some time the Presbytery of Stirling and Dunblane). John Honeyman designed the present parish church building in 1869-1870, which replaced the Old Kirk of Aberfoyle which was situated on the south bank of the River Forth. (The old church was rebuilt in 1744 and repaired 1839). The new church was enlarged in 1883-84 to include transepts, and in 1974 a stained glass window by Gordon Webster was added. A bell originally presented to the Old Parish Church by the Duke of Montrose hangs in a small structure near the East gable. There is a two-manual pipe organ (1887) by Bryceson Brothers, London. In 1983 Aberfoyle Parish Church was linked with the Port of Menteith Parish Church.

Aberfoyle Ministers include the Gaelic scholar and author, Rev Robert Kirk (1644-1692) who was minister in the Old Parish Church, Aberfoyle 1685 – 1692. Kirk was the author of various Gaelic and English translations and publications and perhaps best known for his work ‘The Secret Commonwealth’(1691, published 1815) regarding fairies and other supernatural beings. Kirk was found dead on Doon Hill in 1692 which was known locally as a ‘fairy knowe’ – the tradition is that he was walking on the knowe when he sank down and disappeared. Kirk’s remains are buried in Aberfoyle [see Fasti, Vol 4 Presbytery of Dunblane, p334-335].

Aberfoyle Parish

  • C0013
  • Corporate body
  • 1845 - 1975

Prior to 1845, most local administration was provided by the kirk session of the parish. Details of this may be found in the minutes and accounts of the ecclesiastical parish at CH2/704. In 1845 the Poor Law (Scotland) Act set up parochial boards in each ecclesiastical parish in Scotland with a Board of Supervision established in Edinburgh to oversee the administration or relief for the poor. This produced a whole new series of records related to the provision of help for those in need. As well as this function, the parish was also responsible for other aspects of local administration such as recreation grounds, refuse collection and lighting. After 1925, care of local burial grounds was transferred to the parish authorities and at this time, all existing pre-1925 lair and burial records were given over to the care of the parish council. The Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1894 replaced the parochial boards with parish councils although the system of administration remained broadly the same. The 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act transferred the functions of the parish councils to the district councils of the local county council. Aberfoyle Parish fell under the jurisdiction of Perth Western District Council. In 1948, all provision for the poor became the responsibility of the National Assistance Board with the establishment of the Welfare State in that year.

Aberfoyle School Board

  • C0561
  • Corporate body
  • 1873 - 1919

The Education (Scotland) Act 1872 (35 & 36 Vict., c.62) created school boards in Scotland with a statutory duty to provide education for all children between the ages of 5 and 13. The boards had an elected membership made up of owners and occupiers of property of the value of £4 or over. They were responsible for the building and maintenance of schools, staffing and attendance of pupils. They were overseen by the Scotch Board of Education. The Education (Scotland) Act 1901 (64 Vict. and 1 Edw. VII, c.9) raised the school leaving age to 14. School boards were abolished by the Education (Scotland) Act 1918 (8 & 9 Geo. V, c.48) and replaced by education authorities and school management committees.

Aberfoyle School Management Committee

  • C0562
  • Corporate body
  • 1919 - 1951

School management committees were set up by the Education (Scotland) Act 1918 (8 & 9 Geo. V, c.48). They represented individual burghs, parishes or groups of parishes and were composed of representatives of teachers, parents, and the education authority. They were replaced by sub-committees or local education sub-committees by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1947 (10 & 11 Geo. VI, c.43). The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65) abolished local education sub-committees.

Aberfoyle Slate Quarries School

  • C0039
  • Corporate body
  • 1921 – 1934

Aberfoyle Slate Quarries School opened on 2nd September 1921 with Miss Morton the Head Teacher. The last entry in the log book was 4th May 1934.

Albert Halls

  • C0187
  • Corporate body
  • 1883 -

The Albert Halls, Stirling, originally called the New Public Halls, were opened in October 1883 with a performance of Handel's 'Messiah'. It had been intended to use the Smith Art Gallery and Museum for concerts and public events but the terms of the Trust deed would not allow this. A campaign organised by Dr Charles Allan, a local musician, was started to erect a new venue. The Stirling Public Hall Co. Ltd. was formed and the campaign successfully concluded with the opening of the Halls. The building on Dumbarton Road, Stirling, contains two main halls. It is a venue for indoor concerts, conferences, opera, fairs, and other events and meetings.

Allan’s Primary School

  • C0087
  • Corporate body
  • 1797 -

John Allan, writer in Stirling, died on 25th November 1728 and, by a deed of mortification, left 30,000 merks for the education of poor boys who were sons of members of the Seven Incorporated Trades. The capital was invested in land, mainly the lands of Taylortoun, and a house with furnishings was bought and installed on the mortification in 1741 as accommodation for the boys. In 1777, provision was made for the boys to be taught in the hospital house with a newly appointed school master.

In 1797, a site for a new school and house was bought on Spittal Street. The new school was a financial strain on the Patrons of Allan’s Mortification and in return for a grant towards the building and furnishing of a large school room on the ground floor, the Patrons agreed to make it a public non-denominational school under the Patronage and direction of the Magistrates of the Town Council. Despite this, in 1872, the Counsel’s opinion was that Allan’s School was not a Burgh School under the new Education Act. In 1874, the Patrons consequently decided to lease the building to the School Board in return for the maintaining of the fabric, payment of rates and insurance and continuation of the name of Allan’s School.

The school still operates today. It occupies the same site, augmented by a neighbouring feu and was rebuilt in 1888-1890 and refurbished 1991.

Results 1 to 10 of 579