Showing 11 results

Authority record

Moir of Leckie

  • F0009
  • Familie
  • 18th - 19th century

The origin of Moir of Leckie family dates to the middle of the 18th century when Robert Graham of Callender and Boquhapple, assumed the name of Moir on succeeding to the estate of Leckie, near Stirling. He married in 1769 and was succeeded by his eldest son Charles Alexander Graham Moir (d 1845).

Stirling of Keir

  • F0012
  • Familie
  • c. 1395 -

Clan Stirling is a lowland Scottish clan and the Stirlings of Keir track their ancestry back to some of the earliest progenitors of the surname Stirling, and have records dating back to the early 15th century. Over the centuries, the Stirling of Keir family were significantly involved in Scottish politics and history.

The first Stirling Laird of Keir, Lukas Strivelyng (as his name was spelt at the time), son of William, created the barony of Keir after purchasing half of the Keir estate between 1395 and 1414 from Laird George Leysly (Leslie) of Lewyn. Lukas traded some lands in Fife for the lands of Keir. These lands were in the Stirling Family until the late 1970s, a period of over 570 years. Lukas had a son, Sir William De Striveline (an additional spelling of the surname) of Ratherne and Keir, who purchased the second half of the Keir estate in 1455. William greatly added to the lands of Keir by purchasing the area known as Haldane, which he acquired from Lady Janet Kinross of Kippencross. He also acquired the Charters and Title to the lands of Schanraw, Garnotore and Lytel and Mikle Kinibuck from Alexander de Kinbuck in 1468, and, later, the lands of Glassingall.

William died in 1471 and was succeeded by his eldest son, also named Sir William and great supporter of King James IV. This support led to William being knighted in 1489 and receiving £1000, which was used to build upon Keir House to what it is today. William died in 1503 and was succeeded by his son Sir John, a rather controversial figure due to his political activity and death at Stirling Bridge in 1539.

In 1579, the estate of the family moved from the hands of Sir James Stirling to his son, Sir Archibald Stirling. Archibald's son and then heir, James, was killed in 1614 during a fight in Dunblane with William Sinclair over who owned the lands of Auchinbie. Upon Archibald's death in 1630, the estate was passed down to his grandson, Sir George. George was married four times throughout his life, firstly to Dame Margaret Ross, the daughter of Lord James Ross and Dame Margaret Scott, who died after giving birth to a daughter also named Margaret at the age of seventeen. The child died less than three months after her mother. George later married Margaret Napier, the daughter of Archibald First Lord Napier by Margaret Graham, the sister of the great Marquis of Montrose in 1637. George married his third wife in 1654, Anna Nicolson, the second daughter of Sir Thomas Nicolson of Carnock, before marrying for a final time in 1666, to Lady Margaret Livingston, the eldest daughter of Alexander Livingston, the 2nd Earl of Linlithgow & Lady Mary Douglas. George died less than a year later in Jun 1667, after which Lady Margaret Livingston-Stirling married George’s cousin Sir John Stirling of Keir. With the direct line of the Stirling of Keir family ending with George, the estate was passed down to his cousin, Sir Archibald Stirling.

Archibald was also very active in Scotland's political affairs during his lifetime and was Lord of the Articles in 1661 and 1663. He married Elizabeth Murray, the daughter of Sir Patrick Murray of Elibank and Dame Elizabeth Dundas in 1637, and later married Mause Murray, the daughter of Sir James Murray of Kilbaberton and Dame Katherine Weir, then Lady Elibank in 1646. He died in Apr 1668 and was succeeded by his son John (b. 13 Apr 1638) of his first marriage. Sir John was the head of the Keir estate from 1668 until his death in 1684. He was followed by his second son, also named Sir John (b. 26 Oct 1677) and only a young boy at the time. Sir John died on Oct 1693 at the age of fifteen and was succeeded by his younger brother Sir James, (b. 01 Nov 1679) who oversaw the grounds during the Jacobite period.

James and his wife Marion Stuart, the eldest daughter of Alexander Stuart, Lord Blantyre and Anne Hamilton, had a 14 sons and 8 daughters together. Several members of the family relocated to Jamaica due to political tensions in Scotland and made a great fortune in the sugar cane and rum industries. Archibald Stirling (b. 1710) was one such family member who made a great deal of money in Jamaica before returning to Scotland in 1748 when he succeeded his brother John (b. 18 Nov 1704), who died unmarried on 07 Jul 1757.

Archibald died without an heir on 03 Nov 1783 and was succeeded by his brother William, who in turn died very suddenly on 22 May 1793. He was succeeded by the eldest son of his first marriage, James Stirling (b. 08 Oct 1766). James was very active in the military and fought in Sicily. He died unmarried on 26 Jul 1831 and was succeeded by his brother Archibald (b. 02 Aug 1769 ), who died on 9 Apr 1847 and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir William (b. 1818). Sir William was a member of Parliament for Perthshire form 1852 - 1868 and from 1874 until his death in 1878. Sir William’s second son Archibald then inherited the estate of Keir.

General Archibald Stirling of Keir was succeeded by his son Colonel William Stirling, who in 1975 sold Keir House to Mahdi al-Tajir, the Ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to the Court of St. James, for £2 million. Archibald Hugh Stirling of Keir, known as Archie Stirling, is the current Laird of Keir.

Murray family of Touchadam and Polmaise

  • F0002
  • Familie
  • 1358 – 1956

'This family has been seated for centuries in the county of Stirling, and is supposed to derive from the noble house of Bothwel.

Its patriarch, Sir William de Moravia, designed of Sanford, joined Robert Bruce in defence of the liberties of his country, but, being taken prisoner by the English, was sent to London in 1306, and remained in captivity there until exchanged after the battle of Bannockburn.

Sir William's son and successor, Sir Andrew de Moravia, obtained from King David Bruce two charters; the first, granting the lands of Kepmad, dated in 1365; and the second, bestowing Tulchadam, Tulchmallar, &c. in 1369. Sir William died temp. Robert II and was succeeded by his son William De Moravia, of Touchadam, living in 1392, in which year he had a charter from King Robert III. He wedded Christian Cunninghame, and was father of Alexander de Moravia, of Touchadam, who, in 1455, upon the resignation of his father, got a charter, from James II. of the lands of Weigateschaw, in the county of Lanark; and Toucliadam, Newark, &c. in the shire of Stirling; all erected into a barony. He m. — Sutherland, and had a son and successor, William Murray, of Touchadam, constable of the castle of Stirling in the reign of James III. This laird acquired, in 1459, the lands of Buchadrock, in Stirlingshire, and in 1462, in a baron court held at Dunipace concerning part of the lands of Herbertshire, of which Wiilliam, earl of Orkney, was superior, Wiilliam Murray, of Touchadam was, by his lordship, appointed judge. Touchadam married a lady named Christian, and had four sons,

I. David, his heir.
II. John, father of John, of Gawamore, successor to his uncle.
III. Herbert.
IV. Patrick.

The eldest son, David Murray, of Touchadam, having no issue, made a resignation of his whole estate to his nephew, John Murray, of Gawamore, captain of the king's guards and lord provost of Edinburgh, who, upon the demise of his uncle about the year 1474, became " of Touchadam," and got a confirmation thereof under the "great seal. This John Murray was a firm and devoted adherent of King James III. After the battle of Stirling, he was deprived of a considerable portion of his estate, and a great number of the old family writs were embezzled and lost. He espoused a daughter of Seaton, of Winton, and had a son and heir, William Murray, of Touchadam, living in 1507, who married Agnes, daughter of John Cockburn, of Ormiston, and was s. at his decease, in 1514, by his son, John Murray, of Touchadam, who had a charter under the great seal, dated 9th June, 1541, of the lands of Sandieholmes, in Lanarkshire. He wedded the Lady Janet Erskine, daughter of Robert, fourth earl of Marr, and had two sons, William and James, by the elder of whom, William Murray, of Touchadam, lie was succeeded.

This laird married Agnes, daughter and co-heir of James Cunninghame, of Polmais, in the county of Stirling, and dying an 1569, left, with a daughter, Agnes, a son and successor, Sir John Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who got a charter, dated 26th December 1602, to himself and Jean Cockburn his wife, of several lands in Stirlingshire, containing a new erection, in consideration of the many good services he had himself rendered to the king, as well as of the loyalty so frequently displayed by his great-great-grandfather, John Murray, of Touchadam.

Sir John married. Jean, daughter of John Cockburn, of Ormiston, and was s. by his son. Sir William Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who obtained from Charles I. a charter of the lands of Cowie in 1636.

During the conflicts which harassed the reign of that ill-fated prince, Sir William strained every nerve in defence of the royal cause, and, in consequence, suffered severely from the enactments of the adverse party. He was in the engagement of the duke of Hamilton, and in 1654, was emerced by Cromwell in the sum of fifteen hundred pounds. He died shortly after, and left, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Sir Alexander Gibson, of Durie, a son and successor, John Murray, of Polmais and Toucha-dam, served heir to his father in January 1655. He married Janet, daughter of Sir John Nisbet, of Dean, lord provost of Edinburgh, and was s. by his son, John Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who wedded Anne, daughter of Sir Alexander Gibson, of Durie, one of the senators of the college of justice, and had five sons, viz.

I. John, his heir.
II. William, eventual inheritor.
III. George, who married and had issue.
IV. Adam, M. D. d. s. p.
V. Mungo, who married and had issue.

The eldest son, John Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, infeft in his father's lifetime, married Lilias, daughter of Stirling, of Keir, and dying in 1716, was s-. by the elder of two sons, John Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who dying unm. was s. by his brother, William Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, at whose decease likewise unm. the estates reverted to his uncle, William Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who was served heir to the whole estate in 1729. He married first, Cecilia, dau. of Gibson, of Durie, by whom lie had a son and daughter, who both d. in infancy. He wedded secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Alexander Gibson, bart. of Pentland, and had three sons and one daughter, viz.

I. William, his heir.
II. Alexander, who d. unm.
III. John, who m. Isabella, daughter of Professor Hercules Lindsay, and had issue,

  1. John, merchant, of Liverpool, m. Elizabeth, daughter of James Bryce, esq. and has two sons and one daughter.
  2. Cecilia, m. to John Russell, esq.
    I. Margaret, m. to the Marchese Abcrambonie.

William Murray d. in 1758, and was s. by his son, William Murray, of Touchadam and Polmais, who tm. first, Margaret, daughter of John Callander, esq. of Craigforth, and by her had a son. William, his heir. He wedded, secondly, Anne, daughter of Lawrence Campbell, esq. of Clathick and Killermont, by whom he had,

John, capt. R. N. deceased.
Archibald, East India company's service, deceased.
Alexander, an advocate, who m. Miss Johnina Wilkinson, of the county of Denbigh.
Anne, married to Robert Bruce, esq. of Kennet. (See vol. ii. page 485).

Mr. Murray espoused, thirdly, Grace, daughter of Alexander Speirs, esq. of Elderslie, and by this lady had one son and three daughters, viz.

  1. Peter, died in infancy.
  2. Mary, m. to Alexander Speirs, esq. of Culcreuch, in Stirlingshire.
  3. Grace.
  4. Elizabeth, died an infant.

Polmaise d. in 1814, and was s. by his eldest son, tlie present William Murray, esq. of Polmaise and Touchadam'

Taken from 'A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Volume 3', by John Burke

Stirling of Gargunnock

  • F0006
  • Familie
  • 1835 -

The Stirling of Gargunnock family was a branch of the family of Stirling of Kippendavie which in itself was descended from the family of Stirling of Keir. Charles Stirling (1796 - 1839), the fifth son of John Stirling of Kippendavie (1742 - 1816), was a merchant in Glasgow and a partner in the firm Stirling, Gordon & Co. In 1835, he purchased the estate of Gargunnock, Stirling. He married Christine Hamilton in 1831 and died in 1839 and was succeeded by his son. The family continued to live at Gargunnock House throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. In recent years Gargunnock House has been let out to guests from all over the world by the Landmark Trust

Graham of Rednock

  • F0008
  • Familie
  • 18th - 20th century

The Graham of Rednock family was a branch of the Graham family living at Rednock House in the Parish of Port of Menteith, Stirling. The landscape at Redknock was laid out c 1820 to the designs of James Ramsay (d 1800). The house was extended at the same period to designs by Robert Brown (d 1832).

Dawson family of Auchinteck and Ashentree

  • F0003
  • Familie
  • 1810 - 1835

William Dawson (d. 1834), was in Auchinleck in 1810, but later moved to Ashentree, Doune where he farmed. He married Agnes Towers and they had many children including James (b. 1810) who became a clerk and salesman in Glasgow, and Colin who died in 1835.

Boltons of West Plean

  • F0004
  • Familie
  • 1927 - 1982

The Bolton Baronetcy, of West Plean in the County of Stirling, was a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 25 January 1927 for Edwin Bolton, Chairman of the Territorial Army Association. The second Baronet was Sir Ian Frederick Cheney Bolton, Lord-Lieutenant of Stirlingshire. The title became extinct on his death in 1982.

Graham of Cassafuir and Ruskie

  • F0005
  • Familie
  • 17th - 19th century

The Graham family of Cassafuir and Ruskie lived near Port of Menteith, Stirling.

MacGregor of MacGregor

  • F0001
  • Familie
  • c. 800 -

Clan Gregor or Clan MacGregor is a Highland Scottish clan that claims an origin in the early 800s. The clan's most famous member is Rob Roy MacGregor of the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

The Clan Gregor held lands in Glen Orchy, Glenlochy and Glenstrae. According to Iain Moncreiffe the MacGregors were descended from an ancient Celtic royal family, through the Abbots of Glendochart. This is alluded to in the clan's motto: "Royal is my race". There is also a tradition that Gregor was the brother of Kenneth MacAlpin. Though there is little evidence to support this tradition, it is supported by the Scottish historian, William Skene, It is possible that the eponymous Gregor from whom the family derives may have been Griogair, son of Dungal, who was allegedly co-ruler of Alba.

Most modern historians agree that the first chief of Clan Gregor was Gregor of the golden bridles. His son was Iain Camm One eye, who succeeded as the second chief sometime before 1390.

The barony of Loch Awe which included much of the MacGregor lands was granted to the chief of Clan Campbell by Robert the Bruce. The Campbells had already built Kilchurn Castle which controlled the gateway to the western Highlands and they harried the MacGregors who were forced to retire deeper into their lands until they were restricted to Glenstrae

Iain of Glenstrae died in 1519 with no direct heirs. He was the second of his house to be called the Black. The succession of Eian was supported by the Campbells, and he married a daughter of Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. In 1547 Eian's son, Alistair, fought against the English at the Battle of Pinkie Cleugh but died shortly after.

Colin Campbell refused to recognize the claim of Gregor Roy MacGregor to the estates, and for ten years Gregor waged a war against the Campbells. He was an outlaw who raided cattle and sheltered in the high glens. However, in 1570, he was captured and killed by the Campbells.[3] The chiefship was claimed by his son, Alistair, but he was unable to stem the Campbell's persecution of his kinsmen, who over time became known as the Children of the Mist, a name associated with the MacGregors due to the extent of their losses.

Additionally, John Drummond, of Clan Drummond was the king's forester and was subsequently murdered after hanging a number of MacGregors for poaching. The chief took responsibility for the murder and it was condemned by the Privy Council.

In response to the execution of two MacGregor clansmen in the year 1603, Alasdair MacGregor marched into Colquhoun territory with a force of over four hundred men. The chief of Clan Colquhoun, in response, had been granted a royal commission to suppress the MacGregors. Colquhoun assembled a force of five hundred foot and three hundred horse and advanced to Glen Fruin to repel the Highland raiders. MacGregor split his force in two and while the main MacGregor force and the Colquhouns engaged in combat, the second MacGregor force attacked the Colquhouns from the rear. The Colquhouns were driven into the Moss of Auchingaich where their cavalry was useless and over two hundred Colquhouns were killed. At the end of the eighteenth century, in an act of good will, the chiefs of the two clans met and shook hands on the very site of the former slaughter.

In April 1603 James VI of Scotland issued an edict that proclaimed the name of MacGregor as "altogidder abolisheed". This meant that anyone who bore the name must renounce it or suffer death. In 1604, MacGregor and eleven of his chieftains were hanged at Mercat Cross, Edinburgh. As a result, the Clan Gregor was scattered, with many taking other names such as Murray or Grant. They were hunted like animals and flushed out of the heather by bloodhounds.

An Edinburgh burgess, Robert Birrel, who kept a diary of events at the time, described the episode thus,

"[MacGregor] wes convoyit to Berwick be the Gaird to conforme to the Earl's promese: for he promesit to put him out of Scottis grund. Swa [so] he keipit ane Hieland-manis promes; in respect he sent the Gaird to convoy him out of Scottis grund: But thai were not directit to pairt with him, but to fetche him bak agane! The 18 Januar, at evine [evening], he come agane to Edinburghe; and upone the 20-day he wes hangit at the Croce, and xj [eleven] of his freindis and name, upon ane gallous: Himself being Chieff, he wes hangit his awin hicht aboune the rest of hes freindis."

An Act of the Scottish Parliament from 1617 stated (translated into modern English):

'It was ordained that the name of MacGregor should be abolished and that the whole persons of that name should renounce their name and take some other name and that they nor none of their name and that they nor none of their posterity should call themselves Gregor or MacGregor under pain of death ... that any person or persons of the said clan who has already renounced their names or hereafter shall renounce their names or if any of their children or posterity shall at any time hereafter assume or take to themselves the name of Gregor or MacGregor ... that every such person or persons assuming or taking to themselves the said name ... shall incur the pain of death which pain shall be executed upon them without favour'

Despite the savage treatment of the MacGregors, they had nevertheless fought for the king during the Scottish Civil War. Two hundred men of the Clan Gregor fought for the Earl of Glencairn in what was known as Glencairn's rising, against the Commonwealth. In recognition of this, Charles II of England repealed the proscription of the name, but William of Orange reimposed it when Charles's brother James VII was deposed.

Rob Roy MacGregor was born in 1671, a younger son of MacGregor of Glengyle. (However, given the circumstances, he had been forced to assume his mother's surname of Campbell). The adventures of Rob Roy MacGregor have been immortalized and romanticized by Sir Walter Scott in his novel Rob Roy. Rob Roy was undoubtedly a thorn in the flesh of the government until he died in 1734. He supported the Jacobite cause in 1715 and after the Battle of Sheriffmuir he set out plundering at will. In one such raid on Dumbarton, the town was put into panic and Dumbarton Castle was forced to open fire with its cannon. He also led Clan Gregor at the Battle of Glen Shiel in 1719. He is buried in Balquhidder churchyard.

During the 1745 uprising, some of Clan Gregor fought at the Battle of Prestonpans with the Jacobite army under the Duke of Perth. Some of Clan Gregor were among the Jacobite force that was defeated at the Battle of Littleferry in 1746 in Sutherland, and therefore missed the Battle of Culloden that took place the next day. After the rising, when the MacGregors were returning home, no-one ventured to interfere with them when they strode across Atholl, with their flying colours they strode passed Finlairg Castle where according to one source the Clan Campbell militia "durst not move more than pussies", and the MacGregors defying in broad day light the out posts which Lord Campbell of Glenorchy had established in the passes. The MacGregors flaunted their weapons and returned to their old cattle-stealing ways, only being tamed over the course of time by the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates from 1755.

Persecution of the MacGregors did not end until 1774, when the laws against them were repealed.

To restore pride in the clan, the chiefs needed to be re-established. Eight hundred and twenty six MacGregors subscribed to a petition declaring General John Murray of Lanrick to be the true chief Murray was in fact a MacGregor who was descended from Duncan MacGregor of Ardchoille, who had died in 1552. His son was Sir Evan, who played a part in the visit of George IV to Scotland in 1822, where he and his clansmen were given the tremendous honour of guarding the Honours of Scotland, better known as the Scottish Regalia and the oldest set of crown jewels in the British Isles.

The Murray, later MacGregor of MacGregor Baronetcy, of Lanrick in the County of Perth, is a title in the Baronetage of Great Britain. It was created on 3 July 1795 for John Murray. He was a member of the Scottish MacGregor clan. This branch of the family had been forbidden to wear their own surname by King James VI, the only instance of this in British history. The ban was revoked in 1661 by King Charles II but restored during the reign of William and Mary. It was finally repealed in 1774. However, it was not until 1822 that the family obtained Royal licence to use the family surname. The second Baronet was a colonial administrator and served as Governor of Dominica, Antigua, Barbados and Trinidad. Sir Evan MacGregor, third son of the second Baronet, was Permanent Secretary to the Admiralty. The sixth Baronet was a Brigadier in the Scots Guards. The MacGregors of MacGregor are also the Chiefs of Clan Gregor.

Murray, later MacGregor of MacGregor baronets, of Lanrick (1795):

Lieutenant-Colonel Sir John Murray, 1st Baronet (1745–1822), later Macgregor Murray.
Major-General Sir Evan John Murray-MacGregor, 2nd Baronet (1785–1841), married (28 May 1808), Lady Elizabeth Murray (d. 1846), daughter of John Murray, 4th Duke of Atholl).
Sir John Atholl Bannatyne Murray-MacGregor, 3rd Baronet (1810–1851), of Lanrick and Balquhidder.
Rear-Admiral Sir Malcolm Murray-MacGregor, 4th Baronet (1834–1879)
Captain Sir Malcolm MacGregor, 5th Baronet (1873–1958)
Brigadier Sir Gregor MacGregor, 6th Baronet (1925–2003)
Sir Malcolm Gregor Charles MacGregor, 7th Baronet (b. 1959)

Drummond of Blair Drummond

  • F0007
  • Familie
  • 1780 - 1912

The estate of the Drummond of Blair Drummond family lies a mile to the south of Doune, Stirling. The family was descended from the homes of Renton and Kames. Scottish advocate, judge, philosopher, writer and agricultural improver Henry Home, Lord Kames (1696 - 1782) married Agatha, daughter of James Drummond of Blair Drummond, who inherited Blairdrummond house in 1766, Lord Kames then began to transform the area of Blair Drummond, turning it from an often water-laden moss into productive agricultural land, which brought him an income of almost £2000 per year. The couple's son, George Home Drummond (d. 1819) inherited the estate following the death of his parents; Lord Kames, as well as many of his descendants, is buried in the Home-Drummond plot at Kincardine-in-Menteith just west of Blair Drummond.

George Home Drummond's son, Henry Home Drummond (1783 - 1867), was a politician, advocate, landowner and agricultural improver. He married Christian Moray of Abercairney (1779 - 1864), the sister and co-heir of Major William Moray Stirling (1785 - 1850), in 1812. This brought the estate of Ardoch into the family and the family name changed to Stirling-Home-Drummond. The pair had a son named George Stirling Home Drummond (1813 - 1876), who became a landowner and antiquarian. George Stirling Home Drummond married twice, firstly to Mary Hay of Dunse Castle (b. 1817) in 1840 and secondly to Kalitza Janet Erskine Christian Hay (b. 1833) in 1863; neither marriage produced any children.

The Blair Drummond estate was sold in 1912/13 to Sir A. Kay Muir and later became an adventure and safari park, which opened to the public on 15 May 1970 and is now home to over 350 animals.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 11