Showing 265 results

Authority record

Bannatyne, Sir William Macleod, 1743 – 1833, Knight, judge

  • P0122
  • Person
  • 1743 – 1833

Sir William Macleod Bannatyne, Lord Bannatyne FRSE (26 January 1743 – 30 November 1833) was a distinguished Scottish advocate, judge, antiquarian and historian.

The son of Mr. Roderick Macleod, writer to the signet and Isabel (fl. 1736–1744), daughter of Hector Bannatyne of Kames. He received a liberal education, including a period at the High School of Edinburgh (1755-6), and was admitted advocate, 22 January 1765. He was appointed Sheriff of Bute in 1776. On the death of Lord Swinton, in 1799, he was promoted to the bench, and took his seat as Lord Bannatyne.

Among his intimate friends were Henry Mackenzie, Robert Cullen, William Craig, Hugh Blair, Erskine and Alexander Abercromby. He was a member of the Mirror Club and Lounger Club, at the end of the eighteenth century.

In 1784 he was a co-founder of the Highland Society.

He assumed the name of Bannatyne when he succeeded, through his mother to the estate of Kames in the Isle of Bute. He extended Kames Castle by the addition of a fine mansion house in the early eighteenth century. He sold the Kames estate in 1812 to James Hamilton, and moved to Edinburgh.

He retired in 1823, when he was knighted. He died at his home, Whitefoord House on the Canongate section of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh in 1833. He is buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard in the centre of Edinburgh.

He collected a library of historical, genealogical, and antiquarian works, and at its sale in 1834, a set of the Bannatyne publications was purchased for Sir John Hay, Baronet of Smithfield and Haystown, for one hundred and sixty-eight pounds sterling.

Bannockburn Junior Secondary School

  • ED/SN1
  • Corporate body
  • 1956 - 1979

Bannockburn Junior Secondary School opened on 22nd November 1956. The new building cost £250,000. Bannockburn High School was brought into use on Wednesday 15th August 1979.

Bannockburn Primary School

  • ED/SN2
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1873 -

Bannockburn Public School was in operation between 1873 and 1965. Bannockburn Primary School was built in 1965 with an extension to the main building completed in November 1993.

Bayne , John, fl 1667 – 1705, Sheriff-Clerk of Fife

  • P0051
  • Person
  • fl 1667 – 1705

Baptised at Cupar on 20 May 1667 and succeeded his father as Sheriff Clerk of Fife, He acquired the lands of Logie c, 1692 and married on 29 March 1684 to Cecil Gibson.

Bayne, Alexander, fl 1685 – 1737, Professor of Scots Law

  • P0052
  • Person
  • fl 1685 – 1737

Alexander Bayne of Rires, Fife, was admitted as an Advocate on 10 July 1714. In January 1722 he was appointed Curator of the Advocates' Library, and in November 1722 he was elected as the first occupant of the Chair of Scots Law at Edinburgh University although he had been engaged in lecturing privately on the law of Scotland before he was made Professor. His publications include an edition of Sir Thomas Hope's Minor practicks (1726) to which was appended the Discourse on the rise and progress of the law of Scotland and the method of studying it, and Institutions of the criminal law of Scotland (1730). Professor Alexander Bayne died in June 1737. One of his daughters became the first wife of Allan Ramsay (1713-1784) the painter.

Bayne, David, fl 1671 – 1711, Minister

  • P0097
  • Family
  • fl 1671 – 1711

David Bayne, was educated at the University of Edinburgh from where he graduated in 1671. Minister of Moonzie before 17 August 1675, was transferred to Kinglassie on 1678.

Beaconhurst School

  • ED/LO2
  • Corporate body
  • 1919 -

There has been a school on the current site of Beaconhurst School at Kenilworth Road in Bridge of Allan since 1919. The Beacon School for Girls was established in 1919 and in the same year, Hurst Grange, a boys' school in Stirling, opened. The two schools merged to form Beaconhurst Grange in 1976. This ran as a boarding prep school until the decision was taken in the early 90s to develop an all-through day school.

Blairdrummond School

  • ED/KM1
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1850 - 1967

Blairdrummond School was built c. 1850. The school closed in 1967.

Bradford, Sir Thomas, 1777 – 1853, Knight General

  • P0016
  • Person
  • 1777 – 1853

Lieutenant-general Sir Thomas Bradford GCB GCH was a British Army officer.

Bradford was commissioned as an ensign in the 4th (The King's Own) Regiment of Foot in October 1793 without purchase. He took part in the suppression of the Irish Rebellion of 1798, the Buenos Aires Expedition of 1806 as well as the battle of Vimeiro in 1808, battle of Corunna in 1809 and battle of Salamanca in 1812 during the Peninsular War. He commanded a Portuguese division at the Battle of Vitoria, the Battle of San Sebastian and the Battle of the Nive, all in 1813. For his service in the Peninsular he was awarded the Gold Medal with one clasp.

He became General Officer Commanding the 7th Division of the Army of Occupation in France in 1815, Commander-in-Chief, Scotland in 1819 and Commander-in-Chief of the Bombay Army from 1825 to 1829.

He was then Colonel of the 94th Regiment of Foot (1823–29) and, after returning to England, Colonel of the 30th Regiment of Foot (1829–46).

He exchanged the Colonelcy of the 38th Foot for that of the 4th (The King's Own) Regiment of Foot in 1846, a position he held until his death in 1853.

Bridge of Allan Burgh

  • BBA
  • Corporate body
  • 1870 - 1975

Bridge of Allan, a town less that three miles from the centre of Stirling, was created a police burgh in 1870 under the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101). Under the Act the administration of the burgh was to be carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. Bridge of Allan was at that time a growing Victorian town, famed for its location and as a spa resort. Its population grew from 1803 in 1861 to 3055 in 1871. During the 20th century it continued to attract tourists and also became the location for the University of Stirling. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by the Town Council in January 1901. Bridge of Allan Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Central Regional Council and Stirling District Council. These in turn were replaced by Stirling Council in 1996 under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).

Results 21 to 30 of 265