Showing 917 results

Authority record

Alloa Melville United Free Kirk Session

  • C0372
  • Corporate body
  • 1900 - 1909

Melville United Free Church was formed, as the Congregation of the Associate Presbytery, in c 1800 when the Burghers split into Auld Licht and New Licht causes. The congregation was Auld Licht and split from the congregation which became Alloa West. A church was built in King Street, Alloa. The congregation joined with the Church of Scotland in 1839 as Alloa East but left at the disruption and became part of the Free Church. In 1900 it became Melville United Free Church and in 1909 it united with Chalmers United Free Church.

Alloa Moncreiff United Free Kirk Session

  • C0378
  • Corporate body
  • 1900 -

Moncrieff United Free Church originated as a congregation of the original seceders formed from praying societies in Alloa. The societies had joined the Associate Presbytery in 1738 and in 1745 the seceders in Alloa were disjoined from Stirling. In 1747 after the split in the Presbytery over the Burgess oath, the congregation took the Antiburgher side in what was to be known as the General Associate Synod. The first minister, William Moncrieff, was ordained in 1749. The General Associate Synod joined with the Associate Synod in 1820 to form the United Secession Church. At the union of 1847 the congregation became Alloa Townhead of the United Presbyterian Church, Presbytery of Stirling, then, in 1900, Alloa Moncrieff part of the United Free Church. It stayed out of the union of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland in 1929 becoming part of the United Free Church continuing. It has been at its present site at Townhead, Drysdale Street since 1792. It is in the Presbytery of the East.

Alloa North Kirk Session

  • C0234
  • Corporate body
  • 1970 - 2009

In 1970 Chalmers Church joined with St Andrew's Church to form Alloa North Church, based at the old St Andrew's building. The former West Church and North Church united to form Alloa Ludgate Church in 2009.

Alloa Outport and District

  • C0036
  • Corporate body
  • 1718 -

The Scottish Board of Customs was established following the Act of Union of 1707. In 1722 this was replaced by a single Board of Customs (9 Geo.I c.21), but some commissioners continued to reside in Edinburgh for the transaction of Scottish business. In 1742 an independent Scottish Board of Customs was re-established but was again replaced in 1823 by a unified board for the United Kingdom (4 Geo.IV c.23). Certain powers were delegated to a subordinate board in Scotland which was formally abolished in 1833 (3 & 4 Will.IV. c.51).

The administration of excise in Scotland after 1707 was entrusted to Commissioners appointed in 1723. The administration of salt duties, however, was the responsibility of the Scottish Commissioners of Customs until 1798. In 1823 the administration of the excise throughout the United Kingdom was entrusted to a single board, certain powers being delegated to a subordinate board in Scotland (4 Geo. IV c. 23). The constitution of this subordinate board was modified in 1829 (10 Geo. IV c. 32) and it ceased to function in 1830. In 1849 the Board of Excise was amalgamated with the Board of Stamps and Taxes to form the Board of Commissioners of Inland Revenue. In 1909, (8 Edward VII c. 16) responsibility for excise duties was transferred from the Inland Revenue to the Board of Customs, which was re-named the Board of Customs and Excise.

The local work of the Boards of Customs and Excise was carried out by staff stationed in customs outports or excise districts. Although in many instances officials from both Boards were stationed in the same locations, the administrative structures of the two Boards were not identical. The Customs Board established outports which reported directly to the Board in either Edinburgh or London, and which in some cases had supervisory responsibility for subordinate ports or creeks. Excise was administered by local collections which were sub-divided into districts and divisions. Although the districts and divisions were subordinate to the collection, in many instances they also communicated directly with the Board in Edinburgh or London.

In addition to customs and excise work, local officers frequently maintained shipping registers and sea fishing boat registers on behalf of the Registrar-General of Seamen and Shipping.

Alloa St Andrew's Kirk Session

  • C0400
  • Corporate body
  • 1875 - 1970

St Andrew's Church, Alloa was originally formed as the Union Free Church after a secession from Alloa East Free Church led by the Assistant Minister, John Dempster Munro, in 1875. He was disqualified by the Free Church Presbytery and the congregation's petition to be admitted as a congregation under the supervision of the Presbytery was refused. After petitioning the Church of Scotland the congregation became members, as St Andrew's Church, under the supervision of Alloa Parish Church. Quoad Sacra status was bestowed in 1913 and St Andrew's was disjoined from Alloa. In 1970 the congregation of St Andrew's united with Chalmers Church and became Alloa North Parish Church but remained in the same building on Mar Place.

Alloa St Mungo's Kirk Session

  • C0409
  • Corporate body
  • 1600 -

There has been a congregation at St Mungo's since long before the Reformation. By the 14th century a chapel dedicated to St Mungo existed in Kirkgate, Alloa. Originally Alloa was in the parish of Clackmannan, but during the 14th century it was disjoined and became attached to the Diocese of Dunblane. The parishes of Tullibody and Alloa were united in 1600. St Mungo's remained in Kirkgate until around 1815, in 1819 a new church was opened in Bedford Place. After the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland Alloa was more frequently known as Alloa St Mungo's to distinguish it from other Alloa churches. It is in the Presbytery of Stirling.

Alloa Townhead United Presbyterian Kirk Session

  • C0376
  • Corporate body
  • 1847 - 1900

Moncrieff United Free Church originated as a congregation of the original seceders formed from praying societies in Alloa. The societies had joined the Associate Presbytery in 1738 and in 1745 the seceders in Alloa were disjoined from Stirling. In 1747 after the split in the Presbytery over the Burgess oath, the congregation took the Antiburgher side in what was to be known as the General Associate Synod. The first minister, William Moncrieff, was ordained in 1749. The General Associate Synod joined with the Associate Synod in 1820 to form the United Secession Church. At the union of 1847 the congregation became Alloa Townhead of the United Presbyterian Church, Presbytery of Stirling, then, in 1900, Alloa Moncrieff part of the United Free Church. It stayed out of the union of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland in 1929 becoming part of the United Free Church continuing. It has been at its present site at Townhead, Drysdale Street since 1792. It is in the Presbytery of the East.

Alloa United Secession Kirk Session

  • C0376
  • Corporate body
  • 1820 – 1847

Moncrieff United Free Church originated as a congregation of the original seceders formed from praying societies in Alloa. The societies had joined the Associate Presbytery in 1738 and in 1745 the seceders in Alloa were disjoined from Stirling. In 1747 after the split in the Presbytery over the Burgess oath, the congregation took the Antiburgher side in what was to be known as the General Associate Synod. The first minister, William Moncrieff, was ordained in 1749. The General Associate Synod joined with the Associate Synod in 1820 to form the United Secession Church. At the union of 1847 the congregation became Alloa Townhead of the United Presbyterian Church, Presbytery of Stirling, then, in 1900, Alloa Moncrieff part of the United Free Church. It stayed out of the union of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland in 1929 becoming part of the United Free Church continuing. It has been at its present site at Townhead, Drysdale Street since 1792. It is in the Presbytery of the East.

Alloa West Associate Kirk Session

  • C0225
  • Corporate body
  • 1765 – 1820

In 1765 of a number of citizens of Alloa to the Associate (Burgher) Synod to be taken under its charge. A session was formed and a minister settled in 1769. The church was in the Presbytery of Stirling. In c 1800 there was a secession of 310 members and 160 adherents to the Auld Licht cause, leaving the New Licht members with the West. In 1820 on the union of the Associate Synod and the General Associate Synod this church under the name of Alloa West Secession Church became a church of the United Secession Church.

Alloa West Free Kirk Session

  • C0231
  • Corporate body
  • 1843 - 1900

Chalmers Church, Alloa was formed in 1843 at the time of the Disruption by seceders from Alloa Parish Church (St Mungo's). Known at first as Alloa West Free Church, then after 1900, as Chalmers United Free Church, the congregation worshipped at first in Cunningham Close, Alloa, then in Bank Street.

Results 31 to 40 of 917