Showing 266 results

Authority record

Callander Burgh

  • BCA
  • Corporate body
  • 1866 - 1975

Callander, a town in the Trossachs around 15 miles from Stirling, was created a police burgh in 1866 under the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101). Much of the town was laid out in the 18th century by the Commissioners of the Forfeited Estates appointed after the 1745 Jacobite rebellion to administer the estates of the Drummonds. During the 19th century it became increasingly popular as a Victorian spa resort and it remains a popular tourist destination today. Under the Act the administration of the burgh was to be carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by Callander Town Council in January 1901. By 1971 the population of Callander had risen to 14,224. The Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Central Regional Council and Stirling District Council. These in turn were replaced by Stirling Council in 1996 under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).

Callander Parish

  • PR/CA
  • Corporate body
  • 1845 - 1975

Prior to 1845, most local administration was provided by the kirk session of the parish. Details of this may be found in the minutes and accounts of the ecclesiastical parish at CH2/1245. In 1845, The Poor Law (Scotland) Act set up parochial boards in each ecclesiastical parish in Scotland with a Board of Supervision established in Edinburgh to oversee the administration of relief for the poor. This produced a whole new series of records related to the provision of help for those in need. As well as this function, the parish was also responsible for other aspects of local administration such as recreation grounds, refuse collection and lighting. After 1925, care of local burial grounds was transferred to the parish authorities and at this time, all existing pre-1925 lair and burial records were given over to the care of the parish council. The Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1894 replaced the parochial boards with parish councils although the system of administration remained broadly the same. The 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act transferred the functions of the parish councils to the district councils of the local county council. Callander Parish fell under the jurisdiction of Perth Western District Council. In 1948, all provision for the poor became the responsibility of the National Assistance Board with the establishment of the Welfare State in that year.

Callander Primary School

  • ED/CA1
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1874 -

Callander Primary School has been in operation since c. 1874. It still operates to this day.

Callander, James Henry, 1803 – 1851, Member of Parliament

  • P0039
  • Person
  • 1803 – 1851

Callander was the eldest son of Colonel George Callander, of Craigforth, and his wife the Honourable Elizabeth Erskine. He was educated at Eton.

Callander was the 5th Callander Laird of Craigforth, Stirlingshire, and 16th Laird of Ardkinglas, Argyllshire. He sat as Member of Parliament for Argyllshire from 1832 to 1835.

Callander, John, d. 1789, lawyer and antiquary

  • P0076
  • Person
  • d. 1789

He was the son of James Callander, and Katherine Mackenzie, daughter of Sir Kenneth Mackenzie of Cromarty. He passed advocate at the Scottish bar, but never obtained a practice.

The preface by James Maidment to Letters from Thomas Percy, D.D., afterwards Bishop of Dromore, John Callander of Craigforth, Esq., and others, to George Paton, which appeared at Edinburgh in 1830, indicates that in his latter years Callendar was reclusive, and a religious melancholic. He died, at an old age, at Craigforth on 14 September 1789.

Cambridge, George William Frederick Charles, 1819 – 1904, 2nd Duke of Cambridge, Field Marshal

  • P0094
  • Person
  • 1819 – 1904

Prince George, Duke of Cambridge, (George William Frederick Charles; 26 March 1819 – 17 March 1904) was a member of the British Royal Family, a male-line grandson of King George III, cousin of Queen Victoria, and maternal uncle of Queen Mary, consort of King George V. The Duke was an army officer by profession and served as Commander-in-Chief of the Forces (military head of the British Army) from 1856 to 1895. He became Duke of Cambridge in 1850 and field marshal in 1862. Deeply devoted to the old Army, he worked with Queen Victoria to defeat or minimise every reform proposal, such as setting up a general staff. His Army became a moribund and stagnant institution, lagging far behind the French Army and the German Army. Its weaknesses were dramatically revealed by the poor organisation at the start of the Second Boer War.

Cambusbarron Primary School

  • ED/SN3
  • Corporate body
  • 1875 -

Cambusbarron Primary School was erected in 1875 at a cost of £4000. There was accommodation for 270 children. The building has been demolished and new Primary school was opened in 1967 by Dr John Grierson. It still operates to this day.

Campbell, Ann, d. 1802

  • P0078
  • Person
  • d. 1802

William Murray (1744-1814) married, second, 7th June 1791, Ann, daughter of John Campbell of Clathie and Killermont, who died 2nd August 1802.

Results 41 to 50 of 266