Showing 264 results

Authority record

Campbell, John Coats, 1721 – 1804, 6th of Clathick

  • P0077
  • Person
  • 1721 – 1804

John Coats Campbell (1721-1804), 6th of Clathick, was a wealthy Glasgow tobacco merchant and one of the founding partners of the Thistle Bank in 1761, as well as Lord Provost of Glasgow 1784-1785. He married Agnes Colquhoun.

Campbell, Sir James, 1745 – 1831, 5th Laird of Craigforth and 15th Laird of Ardkinglas

  • P0079
  • Person
  • 1745 – 1831

Sir James Campbell (né Callander; 1745–1831) was a Scottish officer of the British Army, and author of Memoirs of Sir James Campbell of Ardkinglas, written by Himself. Until 1810 he was known as James Callander. While not a baronet, as he claimed, he used the title "Sir". Campbell was 5th Laird of Craigforth and 15th Laird of Ardkinglas.

Campbell was the eldest son of John Callander of Craigforth, by his wife Mary, daughter of Sir James Livingston of Glentirran and Dalderse, he was born at Ardkinglas Castle on 21 October (O.S.) 1745. James was educated at Edinburgh High School and under a private tutor.

In 1759 James Callander, as he then was, joined the 51st regiment as ensign, and served in the Seven Years' War. After 1763 he was in Ireland and Minorca, returning to Scotland in 1789. He ran into financial troubles, and his cousin Sir Alexander Livingston-Campbell of Ardkinglas had him imprisoned for debt, as he believed that Callander had not voted for him in the election and had voted for Callander's friend Sir Thomas Dundas. In fact, James Callander had voted for his cousin.

Taking work abroad, under Sir John Acton, 6th Baronet, Callander was inspector-general of troops at Naples.[2] At the request of Lord Nelson, Callander claimed, he went to the Ionian Islands to confirm the inhabitants in their attachment to the English cause. This authority was thought by some to be fictitious, however. He remained there till the Peace of Amiens in 1802.

On succeeding in 1810 to the estate of his cousin Sir Alexander Livingston-Campbell of Ardkinglas, Callander adopted the name of Campbell. He also used the title of baronet to which he was not entitled, the Campbell baronetcy of 1679 having terminated with his cousin's death. However his claim to the Livingston baronetcy of 1685 was legitimate, as it was merely dormant.

Campbell died in 1831.

Causewayhead Public School

  • ED/LO3
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1842 - 1957

An Infant School in Causewayhead was established c 1842. Causewayhead Public School was established as early as 1862. It closed in 1957 with pupils moving to Riverside School, Stirling.

Central Regional Council

  • CRC
  • Corporate body
  • 1975 – 1996

Central Regional Council was created by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973.

Charles II, 1630 – 1685, King of Great Britain and Ireland

  • P0132
  • Person
  • 1630 – 1685

Charles II (29 May 1630 – 6 February 1685)[c] was king of England, Scotland, and Ireland. He was king of Scotland from 1649 until his deposition in 1651, and king of England, Scotland and Ireland from the 1660 Restoration of the monarchy until his death in 1685.

Charles II was the eldest surviving child of Charles I of England, Scotland and Ireland and Henrietta Maria of France. After Charles I's execution at Whitehall on 30 January 1649, at the climax of the English Civil War, the Parliament of Scotland proclaimed Charles II king on 5 February 1649. However, England entered the period known as the English Interregnum or the English Commonwealth, and the country was a de facto republic led by Oliver Cromwell. Cromwell defeated Charles II at the Battle of Worcester on 3 September 1651, and Charles fled to mainland Europe. Cromwell became virtual dictator of England, Scotland and Ireland. Charles spent the next nine years in exile in France, the Dutch Republic and the Spanish Netherlands. A political crisis that followed the death of Cromwell in 1658 resulted in the restoration of the monarchy, and Charles was invited to return to Britain. On 29 May 1660, his 30th birthday, he was received in London to public acclaim. After 1660, all legal documents stating a regnal year did so as if he had succeeded his father as king in 1649.

Charles's English parliament enacted laws known as the Clarendon Code, designed to shore up the position of the re-established Church of England. Charles acquiesced to the Clarendon Code even though he favoured a policy of religious tolerance. The major foreign policy issue of his early reign was the Second Anglo-Dutch War. In 1670, he entered into the Treaty of Dover, an alliance with his cousin King Louis XIV of France. Louis agreed to aid him in the Third Anglo-Dutch War and pay him a pension, and Charles secretly promised to convert to Catholicism at an unspecified future date. Charles attempted to introduce religious freedom for Catholics and Protestant dissenters with his 1672 Royal Declaration of Indulgence, but the English Parliament forced him to withdraw it. In 1679, Titus Oates's revelations of a supposed Popish Plot sparked the Exclusion Crisis when it was revealed that Charles's brother and heir presumptive, James, Duke of York, was a Catholic. The crisis saw the birth of the pro-exclusion Whig and anti-exclusion Tory parties. Charles sided with the Tories, and, following the discovery of the Rye House Plot to murder Charles and James in 1683, some Whig leaders were executed or forced into exile. Charles dissolved the English Parliament in 1681, and ruled alone until his death in 1685. He was received into the Catholic Church on his deathbed.

Charles was one of the most popular and beloved kings of England, known as the Merry Monarch, in reference to both the liveliness and hedonism of his court and the general relief at the return to normality after over a decade of rule by Cromwell and the Puritans. Charles's wife, Catherine of Braganza, bore no live children, but Charles acknowledged at least twelve illegitimate children by various mistresses. He was succeeded by his brother James.

Cornton Primary School

  • ED/LO4
  • Corporate body
  • 1958 -

Cornton Primary School was originally opened in 1958 for children from Primary 1 to Primary 4. The school was extended to Primary 7 in 1978. The school still operated to this date.

Cowie Primary School

  • ED/SN4
  • Corporate body
  • 1886 -

Cowie Public School opened in August 1886. It was later extended in 1905 and 1911, and accommodated both primary and junior secondary departments. An evening Continuation School was also present from 1896 – 1908. The building underwent extensive refurbishment in November 2010 and finishing in August 2011. The school still operates to this date as a Primary School.

Craigs School

  • ED/SG2
  • Corporate body
  • 1875 - c. 1981

Craigs School opened on Monday 2nd August 1875 and was built on a site in the St Ninians Well Green. The school closed c. 1981 with pupils moving to Riverside Primary School.

Crianlarich School

  • ED/KL5
  • Corporate body
  • 1881 -

Crianlarich School was built c. 1881. The present school building dates from 1969.

Croftamie Primary School

  • ED/DR1
  • Corporate body
  • 1907 - 1997

Croftamie Public School controversially opened on 2 April 1907 replacing the former Kilmaronock Public School. Protests were held by the inhabitants of Kilmaronock concerning the building of new schools. The school was closed in 1997 with pupils transferred to Drymen Primary School.

Results 51 to 60 of 264