Showing 917 results

Authority record

Ardeonaig Primary School

  • C0067
  • Corporate body
  • 1873 - 1986

Ardeonaig Public School opened on 21st November 1873. The school closed on 27th June 1986 with pupils transferred to Killin School and Kenmore School.

Ardeonaig United Free Kirk Session

  • C0464
  • Corporate body
  • 1900 - 1929

At the Disruption of 1843 the missionary and most of the congregation joined the Free Church and were able to use the church as a place of worship. After the union of the Free Church with the United Presbyterians in 1900 the church became Ardeonaig United Free Church. In 1929, with most other United Free Churches, it rejoined the Church of Scotland.

Arnprior Primary School

  • C0077
  • Corporate body
  • 1876 - 1997

Arnprior Public School formally opened on 16th October 1876. Arnprior Primary School closed in 1997.

Baden-Powell, Robert Stephenson Smyth, 1857 - 1941, 1st Baron Baden Powell, General and Chief Scout

  • P0235
  • Person
  • 1857 - 1943

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, now often referred to as Lord Baden-Powell, was born in Paddington on 22nd February 1857 to parents The Reverend Professor Baden Powell (d. 1860) and Henrietta Grace Smyth (1824 – 1914) and was one of ten children. He attended Rose Hill School, Tunbridge Wells and was later given a scholarship to Charterhouse, a prestigious public school in the City of London.

In 1876, Baden-Powell joined the 13th Hussars in India with the rank of lieutenant, he specialised in scouting, map-making and reconnaissance, and soon began to train the other soldiers in what were essential skills for any soldier of the time. After his time in India, Baden-Powell fought in the Balkans, South Africa and Malta before returning to Africa at the start of the Second Boer War. Baden-Powell returned home from Africa in 1903 and found himself to be a national hero as his military training manual, 'Aids to Scouting', had become a best-seller, and was being used by teachers and youth organisations around the country. This led him to release Scouting for Boys, which was published in six installments in 1908. Following the release, boys and girls began to form scout troops and the scouting movement quickly began. The girl guides were subsequently formed in 1910 under Baden-Powell's sister, Agnes Baden-Powell (1858 - 1945). In 1910, at the age of 53, Baden-Powell retired from the army and devoted his life to the scout movement, travelling the world to inspire more young people to join scouting and, by 1920, the movement was large enough to hold its first jamboree.

Outside of his military and scouting career, Baden-Powell married Olave Soames in 1912 (1889 - 1977) with whom he had three children, Peter, Heather and Betty. The couple also raised their three nieces after the death of Olave Soames' sister, Auriol Davidson (d. 1919). Baden-Powell died on 8 January 1941, at the age of 83, and was buried in Nyeri in Kenya. His wife survived him by 35 years.

Baldernock Parish

  • C0016
  • Corporate body
  • 1845 - 1975

Prior to 1845, most local administration was provided by the kirk session of the parish. There are no ecclesiastical parish records for Baldernock held at Stirling Council Archives. In 1845, The Poor Law (Scotland) Act set up parochial boards in each ecclesiastical parish in Scotland with a Board of Supervision established in Edinburgh to oversee the administration of relief for the poor. This produced a whole new series of records related to the provision of help for those in need. As well as this function, the parish was also responsible for other aspects of local administration such as recreation grounds, refuse collection and lighting. After 1925, care of local burial grounds was transferred to the parish authorities and at this time, all existing pre-1925 lair and burial records were given over to the care of the parish council. The Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1894 replaced the parochial boards with parish councils although the system of administration remained broadly the same. The 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act transferred the functions of the parish councils to the district councils of the local county council. Baldernock Parish fell under the jurisdiction of Stirling Western No. 3 District Council. In 1948, all provision for the poor became the responsibility of the National Assistance Board with the establishment of the Welfare State in that year.

Balfron and Holm United Presbyterian Kirk Session

  • C0206
  • Corporate body
  • 1880 - 1940

On the union of the United Secession Church with the Relief Church in 1847, Holm of Balfron became part of the United Presbyterian Church. Decline in population in the parish, mirrored by declining congregations, prompted the union of Holm of Balfron with Balfron United Presbyterian Church in 1880. The new church was called Balfron and Holm United Presbyterian Church. Holm was transferred from the Presbytery of Stirling to the Presbytery of Dumbarton for this purpose. The Kirk Session functioned in a similar way to Sessions of the Church of Scotland. Passed to the United Free Church, then to the Church of Scotland; name changed to Balfron South in 1940.

Balfron Coronation Celebrations Committee

  • C0199
  • Corporate body
  • 1952 - 1953

The Balfron Coronation Celebrations Committee was formed by representatives of local organisations at a meeting on 26th September 1952. The Committee set out to raise money to fund entertainment for all sections of the community and all ages. The District Council also levied a penny rate for the purpose of the coronation celebrations.

Balfron High School

  • C0041
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1890 -

Balfron High School grew out of the old Parish School of Balfron. In 1919, the school became an intermediate, or "Higher Grade" school, and additional building was constructed. In 1925, it was upgraded to a full six-year secondary school and the name changed to Balfron High School. For 125 years, the main school buildings were situated on a rather restricted site between Cotton Street and Roman Road. In August 2001, a new building was completed.

Balfron Kirk Session

  • C0203
  • Corporate body
  • 1967 -

Formed 11th Jul 1967 by union of Balfron North and Balfron South.

Balfron North Kirk Session

  • C0202
  • Corporate body
  • 1691 - 1967

The church of Balfron belonged to the Abbey of Inchaffray. The church was rebuilt in 1832. United 11th Jul 1967 with Balfron South.

Results 61 to 70 of 917