Showing 24 results

Authority record
Bridge of Allan

Morrison, Alexander, fl 1927 - 1939, Town Clerk

  • P0278
  • Persoon
  • fl 1927 - 1939

Alexander Morrison was a Town Clerk in Bridge of Allan, Stirling. He was the author of a number of booklets detailing the history of Bridge of Allan, its local people, and geographical features.

Alexander, James Edward, 1803 - 1885, soldier, author

  • P0322
  • Persoon
  • 1803 - 1885

General Sir James Edward Alexander KStJ CB FRSE FRGS (16 October 1803 – 2 April 1885) was a Scottish traveller, author and soldier in the British Army. Alexander was the driving force behind the placement of Cleopatra's Needle on the Thames Embankment.

Born in Stirling, he was the eldest son of Edward Alexander of Powis, Clackmannanshire, and his second wife Catherine Glas, daughter of John Glas, Provost of Stirling. The family purchased Powis House near Stirling in 1808 from James Mayne (his uncle by marriage) for £26,500. His father, a banker, had to sell Powis House in 1827 on collapse of the Stirling Banking Company. He received his training in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.

In 1837 he married Eveline Marie Mitchell, daughter of Col C. C. Mitchell of the Royal Artillery.

In 1853 he obtained Westerton House in Bridge of Allan, built in 1803 by Dr John Henderson of the East India Company (a cousin and friend). Here he became an elder of Logie Kirk, walking there each Sunday.

He died in Ryde on the Isle of Wight but is buried in Old Logie Churchyard just east of his home town of Stirling. The graveyard lies several hundred metres north of Logie Cemetery and the 19th century Logie Kirk.

After his death his trustees sold Westerton House to Edmund Pullar.

Bridge of Allan Free Church School

  • C0079
  • Instelling
  • 1844 - 1876

Bridge of Allan Free Church School opened in 1844 in a cottage in Market Street. A new public school was built in Union Street in 1876.

Bridge of Allan Burgh

  • C0004
  • Instelling
  • 1870 - 1975

Bridge of Allan, a town less that three miles from the centre of Stirling, was created a police burgh in 1870 under the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101). Under the Act the administration of the burgh was to be carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. Bridge of Allan was at that time a growing Victorian town, famed for its location and as a spa resort. Its population grew from 1803 in 1861 to 3055 in 1871. During the 20th century it continued to attract tourists and also became the location for the University of Stirling. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by the Town Council in January 1901. Bridge of Allan Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Central Regional Council and Stirling District Council. These in turn were replaced by Stirling Council in 1996 under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).

Bridge of Allan Curling Club

  • C0126
  • Instelling
  • 1790 -

Bridge of Allan Curling Club was founded in 1790. In the mid nineteenth century the curling pond in Westerton Park was distinguished by an ingenious lighting system where lines of lanterns were supplied by underground gas pipes. Two artificial curling rinks were later made in Bridge of Allan: at the glebe of the former Logie Manse and at Camerons' haugh. The club was one of the founding members of Scottish Central Province in 1864.

Strathallan Meeting Limited

  • C0144
  • Instelling
  • 1851 -

The origin of the Bridge of Allan Highland Games lie in the meetings of the Country Archery and Rifle Club (founded c. 1825) and their sports competitions. These developed into the Strathallan Highland Games which were organised by J. A. Henderson of Westerton from at least 1848 until 1858 when he died, although 1851 is usually given as the official start date of the Games. Major General Sir James Alexander, became Laird of Westerton in 1863 and reorganised the games which have been held annually ever since with the exception of the duration of the two World Wars. The committee who organised the games was known as Strathallan Meeting Limited. In 1888, it was responsible for organising the Highland Gathering at the Glasgow International Exhibition and in 1889 at the Paris International Exhibition.

Until 1956, the Bridge of Allan games gave out money prizes, then from 1957 till 1998 it affiliated to the amateur sports organisations

Bridge of Allan United Presbyterian Kirk Session

  • C0239
  • Instelling
  • 1848 - 1900

A United Presbyterian congregation was formed in Bridge of Allan in 1848, a church was built a year later and a minister appointed in 1851. Bridge of Allan Trinity was in the Presbytery of Stirling (later for sometime the Presbytery of Stirling and Dunblane). In 1900, along with most other United Presbyterian congregations, the Church became part of the United Free Church.

MacLean, Ella, 1894 - 1988, local historian

  • P0225
  • Persoon
  • 1894 - 1988

Ella MacLean of Helenslea, Bridge of Allan, was a recognised authority on the history of Bridge of Allan. She was born Ella Sisterson in County Durham in 1894 and married Archibald MacLean in 1920. The couple settled at Helenslea where she devoted herself to local activities, her particular interests were working with young people, music and local history. In 1970, her 'Bridge of Allan: The Rise of a Village' was published. As well as writing articles of her own, she collected a large library of reference books and other material, some of which she gave to Stirling Council Archives. Ella MacLean died in 1988.

Beaconhurst School

  • C0080
  • Instelling
  • 1919 -

There has been a school on the current site of Beaconhurst School at Kenilworth Road in Bridge of Allan since 1919. The Beacon School for Girls was established in 1919 and in the same year, Hurst Grange, a boys' school in Stirling, opened. The two schools merged to form Beaconhurst Grange in 1976. This ran as a boarding prep school until the decision was taken in the early 90s to develop an all-through day school.

Bridge of Allan United Free Kirk Session

  • C0236
  • Instelling
  • 1900 - 1929

The Free Church at Bridge of Allan was formed in 1843 after the Disruption. The congregation worshipped in a joiner's shop until a church was built in 1845. The growth of the village as a popular health resort brought an increase in the congregation. After the union with the United Presbyterians in 1900 the Church became part of the United Free Church, then part of the Church of Scotland after 1929.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 24