Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Allan’s Primary School
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
John Allan, writer in Stirling, died on 25th November 1728 and, by a deed of mortification, left 30,000 merks for the education of poor boys who were sons of members of the Seven Incorporated Trades. The capital was invested in land, mainly the lands of Taylortoun, and a house with furnishings was bought and installed on the mortification in 1741 as accommodation for the boys. In 1777, provision was made for the boys to be taught in the hospital house with a newly appointed school master.
In 1797, a site for a new school and house was bought on Spittal Street. The new school was a financial strain on the Patrons of Allan’s Mortification and in return for a grant towards the building and furnishing of a large school room on the ground floor, the Patrons agreed to make it a public non-denominational school under the Patronage and direction of the Magistrates of the Town Council. Despite this, in 1872, the Counsel’s opinion was that Allan’s School was not a Burgh School under the new Education Act. In 1874, the Patrons consequently decided to lease the building to the School Board in return for the maintaining of the fabric, payment of rates and insurance and continuation of the name of Allan’s School.
The school still operates today. It occupies the same site, augmented by a neighbouring feu and was rebuilt in 1888-1890 and refurbished 1991.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD(G), 2nd ed. International Council on Archives
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion