GB 224 ED/SG1
- 1847 – 1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.9 linear metres
Name of creator
John Allan, writer in Stirling, died on 25th November 1728 and, by a deed of mortification, left 30,000 merks for the education of poor boys who were sons of members of the Seven Incorporated Trades. The capital was invested in land, mainly the lands of Taylortoun, and a house with furnishings was bought and installed on the mortification in 1741 as accommodation for the boys. In 1777, provision was made for the boys to be taught in the hospital house with a newly appointed school master.
In 1797, a site for a new school and house was bought on Spittal Street. The new school was a financial strain on the Patrons of Allan’s Mortification and in return for a grant towards the building and furnishing of a large school room on the ground floor, the Patrons agreed to make it a public non-denominational school under the Patronage and direction of the Magistrates of the Town Council. Despite this, in 1872, the Counsel’s opinion was that Allan’s School was not a Burgh School under the new Education Act. In 1874, the Patrons consequently decided to lease the building to the School Board in return for the maintaining of the fabric, payment of rates and insurance and continuation of the name of Allan’s School.
The school still operates today. It occupies the same site, augmented by a neighbouring feu and was rebuilt in 1888-1890 and refurbished 1991.
The records of Allan’s School and Allan’s Primary were transferred to the Central Regional Council Archives by Stirling County Council after the local government reorganisation of 1975. They have been held at the Archives since that date with the exception of the Roll Honour, which was donated by Allan’s Primary School in 2013.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Stirling County Council and Allan's Primary School
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Consists of Infant School log books, 1874 – 1988; Infant School admissions and withdrawal registers, 1870 – 1889; Primary School log books, 1847 – 1951; admissions and withdrawal registers, 1870 – 1977; registers of lefts, 1930 – 1973; summary registers, 1952 – 1987; daily registers, 1952 – 1987; roll of honour, 1914 – 1915; annual returns to H.M. Inspectorate, 1874 – 1966; and abstracts of accounts for expenditure on school materials, 1937 – 1946;
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 224 practices.
System of arrangement
The arrangement of this material reflects the order in which it has been used and received.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Stirling Council Archives abides by the provisions of Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation as it applies to public bodies in Scotland, therefore, access to some material may be restricted.
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to quote and to publish images must be sent to the Council Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
- Allan’s Primary School (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD(G), 2nd ed. International Council on Archives
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 02 Jun 2016
Created by Neil Dickson, Assistant Archivist