The Albert Halls, Stirling, originally called the New Public Halls, were opened in October 1883 with a performance of Handel's 'Messiah'. It had been intended to use the Smith Art Gallery and Museum for concerts and public events but the terms of the Trust deed would not allow this. A campaign organised by Dr Charles Allan, a local musician, was started to erect a new venue. The Stirling Public Hall Co. Ltd. was formed and the campaign successfully concluded with the opening of the Halls. The building on Dumbarton Road, Stirling, contains two main halls. It is a venue for indoor concerts, conferences, opera, fairs, and other events and meetings.
180 Names results for Stirling
General Sir James Edward Alexander KStJ CB FRSE FRGS (16 October 1803 – 2 April 1885) was a Scottish traveller, author and soldier in the British Army. Alexander was the driving force behind the placement of Cleopatra's Needle on the Thames Embankment.
Born in Stirling, he was the eldest son of Edward Alexander of Powis, Clackmannanshire, and his second wife Catherine Glas, daughter of John Glas, Provost of Stirling. The family purchased Powis House near Stirling in 1808 from James Mayne (his uncle by marriage) for £26,500. His father, a banker, had to sell Powis House in 1827 on collapse of the Stirling Banking Company. He received his training in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.
In 1837 he married Eveline Marie Mitchell, daughter of Col C. C. Mitchell of the Royal Artillery.
In 1853 he obtained Westerton House in Bridge of Allan, built in 1803 by Dr John Henderson of the East India Company (a cousin and friend). Here he became an elder of Logie Kirk, walking there each Sunday.
He died in Ryde on the Isle of Wight but is buried in Old Logie Churchyard just east of his home town of Stirling. The graveyard lies several hundred metres north of Logie Cemetery and the 19th century Logie Kirk.
After his death his trustees sold Westerton House to Edmund Pullar.
John Allan, writer in Stirling, died on 25th November 1728 and, by a deed of mortification, left 30,000 merks for the education of poor boys who were sons of members of the Seven Incorporated Trades. The capital was invested in land, mainly the lands of Taylortoun, and a house with furnishings was bought and installed on the mortification in 1741 as accommodation for the boys. In 1777, provision was made for the boys to be taught in the hospital house with a newly appointed school master.
In 1797, a site for a new school and house was bought on Spittal Street. The new school was a financial strain on the Patrons of Allan’s Mortification and in return for a grant towards the building and furnishing of a large school room on the ground floor, the Patrons agreed to make it a public non-denominational school under the Patronage and direction of the Magistrates of the Town Council. Despite this, in 1872, the Counsel’s opinion was that Allan’s School was not a Burgh School under the new Education Act. In 1874, the Patrons consequently decided to lease the building to the School Board in return for the maintaining of the fabric, payment of rates and insurance and continuation of the name of Allan’s School.
The school still operates today. It occupies the same site, augmented by a neighbouring feu and was rebuilt in 1888-1890 and refurbished 1991.
John Allan was born at Gowkhill, Carnock, Fife, the son of William Allan and Margaret Chrisite. His date of birth is not precisely known but he was christened on 2 May 1847.
Allan's training is not yet known, but he had settled in Stirling some time before 1877 when William Hunter McNab was articled to him. He worked in an idiosynchratic idiom with a fondness for incised inscriptions. He was descrobed as a surveyor in 1911.
Allan died at Stirling on 20 February 1922 and was buried in the old kirkyard at Carnock.
Michael Allan, or Michael Zurowski-Allan, was an employee of Cape Insulation Limited, Stirling. He celebrated his 25th year in their employment in 1979. He donated several of his collections and some of his writings to various libraries including material on Cape Insulation to Stirling Council Archives.
Allan's Hospital was founded in 1725.
The ancient order of Hibernians was the successor to the secret societies that formed in Ireland in the 16th century to defend the Catholic faith and society from Protestantism, in particular English Protestantism. It is an Irish Catholic fraternal organization and members must be male, Catholic, and either born in Ireland or of Irish descent. The first use of the name can be traced to 1641. An American branch of the order was formed in New York in 1836 and has developed into an organisation supporting those of Irish backgrounds in America and promoting Irish culture, the order's largest membership is now in America. In Ireland, at the start of the 20th century, the increase in support for nationalist policies saw an expansion of membership of the AOH.
Today, the AOH remains a visible but somewhat marginal part of the Catholic community in Northern Ireland. It holds parades at Easter, Lady Day and a few other times a year. However, the order placed a voluntary ban on its members parading until 1975 due to the troubles in the country. The Stirling and Falkirk divisions of the order are numbers 563 and 229, respectively.
In 1875, Armadale chapel was acquired for Methodist worship. Together with Slamannan Methodist Church it formed the Armadale Methodist Circuit. In c.1886, Armadale Methodist Circuit joined the Wallacestone Methodist Circuit. In 1888 the Armadale manse was sold.
Braehead gala committee, Stirling, was a committee formed in 1977 to organise a gala and other activities to benefit young people living in the area.
Sir David Bruce was a pathologist and microbiologist born in Melbourne, Australia on 29 May 1855. He was the son of Scottish parents, who emigrated to Australia during the gold rush. At the time of his birth, Bruce's father was installing a crushing machine at Sandhurst in the Australian gold fields. Bruce's parents, David Bruce and Jane Russell Hamilton were from Airth and Stirling, respectively. The family returned to Scotland when Bruce was five and settled in Stirling, where Bruce attended Stirling High School before beginning an apprenticeship in Manchester in 1869. This was soon brought to an end when Bruce contracted pneumonia, after which he began studying zoology at the university of Edinburgh in 1876; he later changed to medicine and graduated in 1881. Bruce was a keen naturalist and went into general practice in Reigate where he met and married his wife, who acted as his technical assistant and proved an accomplished artist who illustrated the records of his discoveries.
In 1883, Bruce became an officer in the royal army medical corps. While serving in Malta, many British soldiers suffered an outbreak of what was called the Malta fever. Bruce identified the bacterium causing the illness as Micrococcus melitensis, which was later renames as Brucella melitensis in his honour. He also chaired the Mediterranean fever commission from 1904 - 1906 and the commission succeeded in tracing the source of the infection to the unpasturised milk of the Maltese goat. However, it later came to light that much of the research into the source of the bacterium was carried out by Themistocles Zammit (1864 - 1935), a Maltese scientist and archaeologist, whom Bruce attempted to discredit and defame. Bruce succeeded in taking credit for Zammit's work for many years before Zammit was eventually recognised and rewarded with a knighthood for his work.
Bruce was later posted to South Africa where he discovered that the tsetse fly was the carrier of the parasite responsible for trypanosomiasis, also known as nagana or the nagana pest in animals and sleeping sickness in humans. Despite his work being disrupted by the second Boer war, Bruce was rewarded with a knighthood in 1908 for his research. Following this discovery, he worked on infectious diseases in several countries and was commandant of the royal army medical college during the First World War. Bruce became the commander of the royal army medical college in 1914, a position he held until his retirement as a Major-General in 1919. He was then appointed as the chairman of the governing body of the Lister Institute.
David Bruce died four days after his wife, on 27 November 1931, on the day of her funeral. The pair were both cremated in London and buried together in Valley Cemetery in Stirling, close to Stirling Castle. The couple did not have any children.